Monday, April 28, 2008

CRAB & SHRIMP CAKES

For those of you who check in regularly you've probably noticed I've been MIA for a while. We've been to Ireland for a quick trip and I've been doing a lot of private parties, so as much as I want to do more blogs, finding the time is tough. But enough excuses. I'm back and hopefully you're back with me and ready for a new recipe. This is one I made for my clients last week which they loved. If you've been reading my recipes you know that I aim to make healthier meals so rest assured this is no different. Using Veganaise or light mayo is an excellent healthy option for substituting the high-calorie high-fat original, just in time for bikini season. The Mrs. told me that one.
Recipe:
1/2 lb. fresh crab meat
1 lb. medium shrimp - peeled & de-veined
1/2 med. red pepper - fine dice
1/2 med. yellow pepper - fine dice
1/2 med. red onion - fine dice
2 tsp. chives - finely chopped
1 lemon - zested
1 tbsp. chopped capers
1 tbsp. veganaise, light mayo, or homemade mayo
olive oil
S&P

Start by sauteing the peppers and onion on medium low heat in 1 tbsp. olive oil 'til soft. In a food processor, pulse raw shrimp for a couple of seconds. Don't puree as you want a coarse texture. Add to crab meat and refrigerate. Once pepper mixture is cool add to seafood along with remainder of ingredients. In medium saute pan, saute a small portion on medium heat in a drizzle of olive oil to test for seasoning. Once tasted, season with S&P. Form crabcakes into individual size portions.
To finish dish, pre-heat saute pan on medium heat with 1 tbsp. olive oil. Sear each side 'till golden brown, 3-4 mins. approx. Once all cakes are seared cook in pre-heated 375 degree oven for 5-6 mins.
These are great either for lunch with a salad or for dinner with rice and vegetables.
TIP: Buy FRESH crab meat. It's a bit more expensive but the flavor is worth it especially since it's not going to be slathered in mayo so you'll actually taste it.

3 comments:

Jan said...

Great photo, I could almost put one on my plate and devour it. I just love crab cakes, and the addition of shrimp sounds fab.

Also, even though I'm English, I think it's great that you're promoting traditioanal Irish foods.
I'm all in favour of traditional.

Unknown said...

I was searching for crab & shrimp
cakes and got linked to your very interesting recipe. I will try it.
Do you have a sauce that would go well with it? I am going to Ireland
next year for the first time. I LOVED
Scotland. We saw the highlands & the Islands and all over. It was a WOW!
I'm knowing Ireland will be the same way. Exciting! Thanks so much.

The H.I. said...

Hey Nancy, thanks so much. I would serve a mango avocado salsa with it. I don't have a recipe but basically small diced mango, avocado, red onion and maybe a little jalapeno. Mix them all together with a squeeze of lime juice and a pinch of salt. Bingo.
If you like the Scots you'll love the Irish. Beautiful countryside. Try and head to the south west, Kerry and Cork, you'll love it.
Thanks for the feedback.